With the holiday season quickly approaching, many people are preparing for holiday festivities. While the holidays are a time to celebrate, it is also a time for many distractions to cloud your judgment. If you live in Ventura County, you will find plenty of holiday attractions to keep you and your family entertained. As thousands head out to reach their holiday destinations or simply spend time with family and friends, traffic congestion can become a nightmare. It is particularly difficult for motorcyclists who lack adequate protection. But there are ways to prevent a motorcycle accident this holiday season. Abiding by some simple safety habits can mean the difference between life and death.
Safety tips for motorcyclists
- Wear your helmet at all times – This s one of the most important steps to keep you safe on the road. Just make sure you buy a good helmet that meets federal safety standards.
- Don’t drive under the influence – While the holidays are a time for the fun to drink and be merry, it’s crucial you have a designated driver. This is particularly true for motorcyclists as alcohol will definitely cloud and slow your reaction time.
- Drive defensively – There are too many people on the road during the holiday season. It is important to stay alert and think defensibly.
- Keep routine motorcycle maintenance – One of the best ways to prevent a motorcycle crash is preventive maintenance.
Safety tips for drivers
- Blind spots – It is very common for drivers to ignore their blind spots, which prevents them from seeing a motorcycle nearby. This is particularly true if you are entering an intersection or switching lanes.
- Avoid sharing a lane with a motorcycle – Motorcycles need space and they should have the entire lane. Sharing a lane with a motorcycle can create an unsafe situation and cause an accident.
- The importance of turn signals – Turn signals are very important as they will allow the motorcyclists some time to move into a safe area.
- Keep a good distance – The more a driver stays away from a motorcyclist, the safer everyone will be. Motorcycle accidents are usually the driver’s fault unless the motorcyclist was distracted or driving under the influence.
Every year, many people hit the road for the holidays. But some holiday weekends account for most fatalities. Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, and New Year’s are among the holiday weekends ranking high for fatal car accidents.
Injured in motorcycle wreck?
Whenever a motorcycle accident occurs, the risk of severe injury can be high due to lack of protection. Motorcyclists are more susceptible to a collision. It is crucial to take some precautions and avoid distracted drivers this holiday season. As long as you follow the above-described safety tips you should be fine. However, if you get involved in a motorcycle accident and sustain severe injuries, you should hire an experienced Ventura County motorcycle accident attorney to handle all legalities so that you can focus on recovery.