It is estimated that side-impact collisions are responsible for up to 10,000 traffic deaths in the United States each year. In fact, side-impact crashes, also known as T-bone accidents, are responsible for some of the most gruesome injuries, especially when a vehicle is hit from the driver’s side.
“In the vast majority of cases, side-impact accidents are caused by driver error or negligence/carelessness of one of the drivers involved,” says our Ventura County side-impact accident attorney at The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman. As we have mentioned earlier, side-impact collisions are usually responsible for severe and catastrophic injuries, which means these accidents can result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills.
How do side-impact collisions occur?
Causes of side-impact collisions vary greatly from one case to another, but some of the most common causes of these T-bone crashes involve:
- Aggressive driving
- Reckless driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Running red lights
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy driving
- Performing unsafe lane changes
- Making illegal U-turns and
- Failure to obey traffic rules
The cause of your side-impact collision is not the only thing that matters when determining liability in your case and the value of your personal injury case. Our experienced side-impact accident attorney in Ventura County says that the type of injury that you have suffered also plays a major role in your case.
Common injuries in a side-impact accident
In case you are wondering why side-impact crashes tend to be more life-threatening and severe than most frontal and rear-end car accidents, you need to understand that in T-bone accidents, the driver is protected by very little vehicle structure (only the door and window) from direct impact.
In the event of a rear-end collision, for example, the driver is protected by several feet of steel and metal, as well as the trunk and seats. Regardless of whether you are a driver or passenger in a vehicle that was hit from the side, the risk of suffering severe and catastrophic injuries can be extremely high.
Some of the most common injuries associated with side-impact accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Lacerations and bruising
- Broken ribs
- Spinal cord injuries and
- Internal bleeding
Who’s at fault in a side-impact accident?
As you may have guessed, determining liability for a side-impact collision can be quite time-consuming and require a tremendous amount of effort, patience, diligence, and skill. This is exactly why victims who were injured in a side-impact crash benefit from seeking legal advice from a Ventura County side-impact collision lawyer.
In most cases, victims of side-impact crashes require legal help from accident reconstruction experts who use a variety of tools related to physics, dynamics, and engineering, all of which allow them to re-create how a car accident occurred, and, subsequently, determine which party caused it.
Since determining liability for a side-impact accident can be complicated, many insurance companies take advantage of it and employ a variety of dishonest and unfair techniques – both legal and illegal – to manipulate you into thinking that you were the one who caused the crash, and, as a result, should get your personal injury claim denied or minimized.
Do not be quick to accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer until you have consulted with an experienced car accident lawyer in Ventura County or elsewhere in California. Let our car accident attorneys from The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman investigate your case and help you pursue your personal injury claim. Schedule a free consultation today by calling at 805-983-2344.
- Ventura County Personal Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Car Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Truck Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Elder Abuse Attorney
- Ventura County Slip And Fall Accidents Attorney
- Ventura County Dog Bite Attorney
- Ventura County Spinal Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Brain & Head Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Metrolink Accidents Attorney
- Ventura County Burn Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Pool Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Wrongful Death Attorney
- Ventura County Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Premises Liability Attorney
- Ventura County Uber Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Product Liability Attorney