- Personal Injury
- Ventura County Car Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Truck Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Elder Abuse Attorney
- Ventura County Slip And Fall Accidents Attorney
- Ventura County Dog Bite Attorney
- Ventura County Spinal Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Brain & Head Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Metrolink Accidents Attorney
- Ventura County Burn Injury Attorney
- Ventura County Pool Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Wrongful Death Attorney
- Ventura County Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Premises Liability Attorney
- Ventura County Uber Accident Attorney
- Ventura County Product Liability Attorney
Committed to Helping Families of Fatal Accident Victims
Losing a loved one due to negligence is horrifically devastating. Whether you have lost a family member to a work related accident, car accident or due to a building defect, you are facing an unexpected loss while trying to navigate the many legal layers involved in wrongful death and probate court. This is not easy. You do not, however, have to work through this process alone.
An experienced Ventura County wrongful death attorney can give you the relief you need while helping you pursue compensation that will help cover costs associated with your loved one’s death. While this financial support will not undo what has been done, it can help alleviate any unnecessary stress as you navigate the grieving process.
Our Caring Ventura County Wrongful Death Attorney Handles Many Types Of Fatal Accident Cases
Ventura County wrongful death attorney J. Jeffrey Herman brings more than 30 years of experience helping individuals and family members who have lost loved ones in the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bike accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Elder abuse
- Dog bites
He and his team of personal injury attorneys are committed to giving clients the attention they deserve during this difficult time. We educate our clients on the legal process so they can make informed decisions about their futures. We are dedicated to compassionately serving our clients on an individual level in an effort to serve their best interests.
Wrongful death cases are difficult for everyone involved. Our team of Ventura County wrongful death attorneys understands the emotional pain and financial hardships our clients go through. Our goal is to help place them in the best position to succeed. It is important to understand that no amount of money can ever replace your loved on. But it is also important to recover the maximum settlement to help pay for your bills by accounting for damages and lost wages. We utilize a compassionate and comprehensive approach to help protect the rights of family members who have lost a loved one due to negligence. Do not take chances with the quality of your legal representation. Count on the Ventura County wrongful death attorney with a track record of more than 30 years of getting results.
Wrongful Death Attorney Ventura County FAQ
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or carelessness of another person, company, or entity, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman, our Ventura County wrongful death attorneys are going to fully investigate your claims to secure the compensation you need.
What does wrongful death mean?
Wrongful death cases arise against a defendant who has caused someone else’s death by their careless, negligent, or willful actions. The defendant in these cases can be:
- An individual
- A company
- A non-profit organization
Government entities and government employees may be immune from a wrongful death lawsuit, though the laws vary state by state.
Who can bring a wrongful death lawsuit varies from state to state, but generally includes:
- Immediate family members of the decedent.
- Life partners, financial dependents, putative spouses
- Distant family members
- Those who suffer financially from the death
- Parents of a deceased fetus
What are the main causes of wrongful death cases?
There are countless ways in which a wrongful death case could arise. As we give some examples, please understand that this is not a complete list and you should speak with your Ventura County wrongful death attorney about your case.
- The driver or employer at fault in a car crash
- A building designer or engineer for structure failure
- The company, manufacturer, or distributor of a defective product
- Anyone who sold alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person who causes a death
- The owner of the premises where a drowning occurred
- A government entity that failed to provide warnings regarding roadway hazards
- A medical provider that makes a negligent mistake during surgery
Are wrongful death proceeds taxable?
In general, most wrongful death damages awarded to surviving family members of the decedent are not taxable. The non-taxable portions of wrongful death claim include those that compensate a person for their loss, including:
- The deceased person’s pain and suffering damages
- Medical costs of the deceased person as a result of the injury prior to death
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of the decedent’s expected future income
- Loss of inheritance as a result of the death
- Loss of services the decedent would have provided
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of love and companionship
- Loss of care, nurturing, and guidance the decedent would have provided
However, there are times when punitive damages may be awarded in a wrongful death case. These damages are not meant to compensate a person for their loss, but rather to act as a punishment against a party whose negligence was egregious or outrageous in nature. These damages are taxable, and a person must claim them as income.
Contact Ventura County Wrongful Death Attorney J. Jeffrey Herman For More Information
The loss of a loved one to a fatal accident can be devastating. We understand clients are going through a difficult time. We are here to help. From the time a client visits our Ventura County personal injury law office for their initial consultation and all the way through trial, our team of dedicated legal professionals will always be in your corner. To learn more about how we can help you navigate the complexities of your personal injury case, contact our wrongful death lawyer in Ventura County by sending an email or calling 805-983-2344. We will not collect fees unless we obtain compensation for you.