Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of death for people of all ages. California has by far more licensed drivers than any other state. About 9 people die every day in fatal crashes on California roads. About 40% of the crashes involve an alcohol-impaired driver. Over 70% occur in urban areas. Simi Valley is 9th in the nation for most car crashes with over 40% more accident-prone drivers than the national average.
The Ventura County car accident attorney at The Law Office of J. Jeffrey Herman knows that car accidents happen with great frequency around the county and poor judgment or driver error are often the reasons why.
5 Common Causes of Car Accidents
Most car crashes are the result of a choice made by the driver that does not prioritize safe driving. Although there can be many factors that contribute to accidents, these are 5 of the most common reasons that accidents occur.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is operating a vehicle anytime your focus is not on driving. Distractions such as eating, adjusting controls, talking with passengers, and looking at your phone are just some of the ways your attention strays from the road. The use of a hand-held device while driving is illegal in California.
- Speed – Speed not only increases the likelihood of an accident it also tends to increase the severity. More speed equals less reaction time and greater opportunity for mistakes. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding is involved in about one-third of all vehicle-related fatalities.
- Alcohol impairment – Every 52 minutes someone in the US dies in a car accident involving alcohol.
- Failure to obey traffic laws – Traffic laws help drivers communicate and know what to expect from one another. Besides ignoring the speed limit, failing to stop, yield the right-of-way, use turn signals, or other illegal traffic short-cuts all contribute to accidents.
- Drowsy driving – About half of US adult drivers admit to getting behind the wheel while feeling drowsy. A drowsy driver is less attentive and has a slower reaction time. Drowsy drivers are 3 times more likely to get into car accidents.
Injuries that Can Result from Car Accidents
When you are involved in a car accident force is applied against your body which can cause both external and internal injuries. It is important to pay attention to anything that feels different after the accident even if there is no blood and report your symptoms to a medical professional. Injuries may not be fully apparent right away.
- Whiplash – soft tissue injury in the neck caused when you are thrust forward on impact and then slammed back against the seat
- Back Injuries – spinal fractures, herniated discs, and spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries – a ‘concussion’ is a common brain injury that can occur during a car accident though more serious brain injuries can develop
- Broken bones – broken bones can occur from the force of impact, being crushed, or as a result of getting ejected from a vehicle
- Internal injuries – internal bleeding and damage or rupture of organs may not be immediately realized and can be very serious
How to Recover for Injuries from a Car Accident in California?
If you have been injured in a car accident in California – as long as you weren’t 100% at fault – you may be able to recover money from the party or parties responsible for the crash. Even if you have some fault for the accident, you can still recover the percentage of your damages that were caused by someone else.
You may be entitled to recover economic damages such as medical expenses, car repair or replacement, lost wages, and missed opportunities for financial gain. You can also recover non-economic damages for your pain & suffering, emotional distress, and other types of life enjoyment that have been taken from you.
After a car accident, you will be contacted not only by your own insurance company but the companies of others involved in the accident. It can quickly become overwhelming to try and deal with your injuries while insurance companies pressure you to settle your claim. At The Law Office of J. Jeffrey Herman, our Ventura County car accident lawyer can step in and get everyone to back off so you can catch your breath and focus on your recovery. We will investigate, document, and prove your claim so that you are compensated fully for all of your damages. To put over 30 years of integrity and personal injury experience to work for you click here for a free consultation or call our office at 805-983-2344.