Posted in Car Accident on Friday, Nov 23, 2018.
Residents in an Oxnard home woke up to a surprise late last month when a vehicle came crashing into their home.
It was just after 1 a.m. when a vehicle traveling northbound on F Street ran a stop sign and continued into the living room of a home on West Bard Road. Luckily, nobody was injured in the accident, though eight adults and one child were displaced because the building was deemed uninhabitable.
The driver, described as a male between the ages of 25 and 30, fled the scene on foot. As of this writing, he has not been located.
At the Law Offices of J. Jeffery Herman, we know that there are all kinds of risks on the roadway. Sometimes, they spill over to the sidewalks and beyond. If you need an Oxnard car accident attorney, you can count on our team to be by your side, working to secure the compensation you need.
What Can Happen
Many car accidents happen because of the negligence of other drivers. This can happen in a variety of ways. Let’s consider some of the numbers from the latest reporting year for California.
Out of the hundreds of thousands of vehicle accidents in the state, most resulted in only property damage and minor injuries. Many, though, were much worse.
- There were 11,942 serious injuries (spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, internal organ damage, etc.).
- There were 3,623 fatalities.
Serious injuries require extensive medical care and sometimes long rehabilitation times. The medical costs of these injuries can be enormous and they only go upward if a person has a long-term disability.
If a person is unable to work because of their injuries, their lost income could jeopardize the financial livelihood of their family.
How They Happen
- Drivers who speed are reckless and a danger to everyone on the roadways. In fact, from the last reporting year to the latest, speeding-related fatalities increased by six percent.
- Alcohol-impaired drivers accounted for 27 percent of all traffic fatalities and over 25,000 injuries. Anyone in or around the roadway is in danger when people choose to drink and drive.
- Distracted drivers, those who are busy looking at their phones or paying attention to other people in their vehicle, are likely not watching the roadway.
Regardless of how another person’s negligence causes harm, they need to be held accountable for their actions.
What You Can Do
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident that was caused by another person’s negligence, we advise you to seek legal assistance. At the Law Offices of J. Jeffery Herman, we know how confusing the aftermath of an accident can be, so let us help. We want to make sure you get the compensation you deserve for all of your accident-related expenses. This can include:
- Your medical costs
- Lost income if you are unable to work
- Punitive damages
- Pain and suffering damages