Posted in Elder Abuse Attorney on Thursday, Dec 07, 2017.
Seniors with dementia are more vulnerable to elder abuse. They are easy targets since some things they say might not be believed due to their condition. Dementia can make the individual become more forgetful. In order to protect a loved one suffering from this condition, you must learn to spot the warning signs and contact an experienced Oxnard elder abuse attorney if any type of physical, emotional or financial abuse took place.
Any action against an older person that causes bodily harm is considered physical abuse. Whether it includes hitting, kicking, or administering drugs that aren’t prescribed, this behavior is wrong and illegal. Some common signs of physical abuse include:
- Broken bones, bruises, and unexplained injuries.
- Drug overdose or giving drugs the doctor didn’t prescribe.
- Signs of physical restraint such as bruises.
- When caregivers don’t want you to see your loved one.
Emotional abuse is generally verbal. It happens when caregivers blame and humiliate the victim, ridiculing him or her, and isolating the elder from his or her loved ones. It can be particularly difficult for seniors with dementia to deal with this abusive behavior. If you spot signs of emotional abuse, contact local authorities immediately, and consult an experienced Oxnard elder abuse attorney.
Financial abuse can take many forms. Elders suffering from dementia are particularly vulnerable to financial scams. But there are ways you can stop the abuse before it becomes worse. Some warning signs include:
- Unexpected changes in your loved one’s finances.
- Unexplained withdrawals from the victim’s account, or credit cards.
- Cash missing from their wallets.
- Shady changes in wills, titles, policies, and so on.
- The medical bills are not paid when the person has enough funds or insurance to cover these expenses.
- People that are too friendly.
There are times when caregivers withhold essential needs from the elder like shelter, food, and healthcare. Withholding people in this frail condition from their day-to-day needs can put them at risk for an accident, disease or malnourishment. Some signs of neglect include:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Untreated medical conditions
- Poor hygiene
Another common category of elder abuse is healthcare fraud. Sometimes the patient’s information is falsified in order to take advantage of the victim’s finances or insurance coverage. The warnings signs include:
- Caregivers with lack of training who provide insufficient care.
- Overmedicating or not administering the right medications..
- Billing for services that were never provided.
We can help you
You have come to the right place. We are advocates for the elderly with many years of experience protecting the rights of older citizens in Oxnard. We understand that your family may be in the midst of a crisis and you need to understand how to protect your loved ones from elder abuse. For more information, call us today and schedule a private case assessment with Oxnard personal injury attorney J. Jeffrey Herman.
- Brain Injury Attorney
- Burn injury attorney
- Car Accident Attorney
- Dog Bite Attorney
- Elder Abuse Attorney
- Metrolink Accident Attorney
- motorcycle accident attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- personal injury attorney
- Pool accident attorney
- Santa Barbara
- Slip And Fall Accident
- Spinal Injury Attorney
- truck accident attorney
- Ventura County burn injury attorney
- Wrongful Death Attorney