Commuter train accidents nationwide wreak havoc on roads, destroy bridges, and may lead to multiple fatalities. While NTSB representatives will investigate every detail leading up to, during and after the crash, injuries sustained need addressing. A Santa Barbara Metrolink accident attorney is the difference between victims walking away empty-handed, and receiving compensation for operator error.
Many Californians recall 2008’s horrific Chatsworth accident which left 25 people dead, numerous injured and unanswered concerns regarding railway safety. The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman handles cases like Chatsworth and single person incidents where unsafe loading stairs caused an injury.
We Fight Against Public Entities
Metrolink operates 55 stations spanning 538 miles of Ventura, Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. Although Metrolink professes safety to be their number one concern, conditions exist that make complete passenger safety difficult to uphold.
Most common train incidents we’ve defended clients include:
- Train hits passenger. Although pedestrians are responsible for looking both ways, failure to sound off when in close proximity to pedestrian crosswalks may result in Metrolink being at fault.
- Metrolink derails. While the precise reasons Metrolink trains derail take detective work and communication log review, many occur when foreign substances are on train tracks – an area where Metrolink is responsible for maintaining.
- Train collides with train. Trains that travel near each other, especially in larger cities, must properly switch tracks; sometimes switches fail, causing an accident.
- Train strikes vehicle. These cases are delicate; we suggest phoning a Metrolink accident attorney should your injuries be consistent with an unintentional run-in with Metrolink.
Obviously, no two train accident circumstances are identical. The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman will examine the facts, testimonies, communications, and photographs to build your case. Because Metrolink accidents have more serious injury implications, we’re able to settle cases favorably for clients expected to lose work without money to cover medical expenses.
We go after other train systems, too. BNSF, Union Pacific and Amtrak are just some commuters and commercial trains we can hold responsible if the victim lives near Ventura of Santa Barbara Counties.
Understanding Your Rights
Victims of Metrolink accidents are often battered pretty badly, many times threatening their life. A victim, or surviving loved one, has the right to:
- Hold Metrolink responsible for incidents stemming from operator error or preventable accidents.
- Gather witness information to help defend their testimony.
- Photograph every inch of the accident scene, including their own injuries.
- Seek Santa Barbara Metrolink accident attorney assistance before speaking with company and/or insurance representatives.
- Receive compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and all other expenses deemed appropriate by a judge or jury.
California transportation laws, coupled with Federal transit statues, protect innocent victims of Metrolink accidents. These laws not only help us build your case, but are put in place to assure train rides are safe.
Don’t let Metrolink throw your life off track. If you or someone you love has been involved in even a minor incident while aboard, or outside, of a commuter train, contact The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman.
We’ll hold Metrolink wholly responsible for train accidents and secure the compensation you deserve.