Ridesharing services like Uber are very popular in this area, and they offer convenient ways for people to get from place to place. However, have you ever wondered what happens if you are in a collision while riding in an Uber? What if you are struck by an Uber driver while inside of another vehicle?
At the Law Offices of J. Jeffery Herman, our qualified and experienced Oxnard Uber accident attorneys understand these cases are we are ready to get to work on your behalf. Let us investigate what happened and work through this complicated insurance situation to secure the compensation you deserve.
Uber vehicle accidents do happen
While there is no solid research on how often rideshare service vehicles belonging to companies like Uber or Lyft are involved in accidents, they do occur. When we look at the overall traffic accident statistics from the latest reporting year in California, we can see that there were:
- Over 273,000 total car accident injuries
- Almost 4,000 total car accident fatalities
Regardless of who you are, you could be impacted by the negligent or careless actions of an Uber driver – whether you are a regular Uber rider or another person on the roadway. There are tens of thousands of Uber drivers in this area.
It is not uncommon for our Oxnard car accident lawyers to help clients with the following injuries in the aftermath of an accident:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Each of these injuries can lead to significant medical expenses for a victim and their family, so it is important to understand Uber’s insurance.
Uber’s insurance can be confusing
While Uber does have insurance available for passengers and other people affected by a crash, it only kicks in under certain circumstances.
- If a driver is not “logged in” to Uber’s system and awaiting a fare (if they are on personal time), then their private insurance carrier is responsible for any crash expenses.
- If a driver is “logged in” but waiting for a fare, their private carrier is still the primary carrier in a crash. Uber’s policy will kick in only if a claim is denied or does not cover all of the expenses.
- If a driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick one up, Uber’s $1 million liability policy is available to those harmed by an Uber driver.
We are ready to help with your case
If you or someone you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of an Uber driver, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Law Offices of J. Jeffery Herman, we know that the insurance process after an Uber accident can be complex, but we are ready to handle all aspects of your case. Our goal is to secure compensation for:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Possible punitive damages against the Uber driver