Posted in Oxnard on Friday, Feb 09, 2018.
With the weather in California warming up, more people are out there on the streets enjoying a good walk. This is why traveling by foot may actually be wiser for some people than driving. Every year, thousands of pedestrians are killed and about 4,000 die in a vehicle accident. About 20% of transport actually happens by foot. But pedestrians are also involved in 13% of fatal vehicle-related accidents.
Drivers are responsible for driving safely yet most pedestrian accidents are caused by pedestrian actions, especially during sunny days. Age is also a factor since seniors over 65 and also children and teens are the ones generally involved in these types of accidents.
- Improper lane use – Many pedestrian accidents happen in crowded city streets. It is common seeing a cyclist riding his bike and hit a pedestrian.
- Electronics – Pedestrians can also get distracted with cell phones and other electronic devices. Many accidents actually occur when passengers exit vehicles.
- Dark clothes – Most pedestrians are involved in accidents that happen at night. If they are not wearing the right clothes or carrying pocket flashlights, it is harder to spot them.
- Substance abuse – Being under the influence is also a common cause of pedestrian accidents. Actually, intoxicated pedestrians caused almost forty percent of these accidents.
- Arterial roads – These roads are comfortable for walking but they can be dangerous. There are also construction sites that aren’t properly marked.
- More cars on the road – It is common seeing many cars in large cities out there on the road. Unfortunately, pedestrians also use many of these roads, and they can be at risk of severe injury.
When to file a pedestrian accident claim?
It is important you file your claim as soon as possible. If you miss the deadline, your claim might be dismissed. Contact your attorney right after you discovered your injuries, and ask about your legal options.
Types of damages you can recover
You can recover past and future damages for the medical costs, lost income, and pain and suffering. However, if the pedestrian dies, survivors are entitled to receive compensation for their economic losses as well as loss of companionship.
Some important steps to take
- Write down as much information as you can about your injuries and any loses related to the accident.
- Take notes about the information you got from witnesses or people at the scene of the accident. You can also include a video or photographs of the accident.
- Gather as much evidence as you can with the help of an experienced Oxnard pedestrian accident attorney.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries and keep a copy of your medical records.
Contact an Oxnard pedestrian accident attorney
Although walking can be environmentally friendly, it can also expose pedestrians to so many dangers. The aftermath of these accidents can be devastating for victims and their families. Call us today and our legal team will take a look at your circumstances and make sure your rights are fully protected.
- Brain Injury Attorney
- Burn injury attorney
- Car Accident Attorney
- Dog Bite Attorney
- Elder Abuse Attorney
- Metrolink Accident Attorney
- motorcycle accident attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- personal injury attorney
- Pool accident attorney
- Santa Barbara
- Slip And Fall Accident
- Spinal Injury Attorney
- truck accident attorney
- Ventura County burn injury attorney
- Wrongful Death Attorney